The Ben Bryant situation just keeps looking worse for Wisconsin.
On Thursday, Bryant, a Badgers quarterback commit for 2018, tweeted he received an offer from Georgia. The following day, Wisconsin pulled his scholarship offer. So on Saturday, Bryant tweeted out a statement with a more-detailed timeline of his version of what happened, along with his thoughts on the whole saga.
— Ben Bryant (@benbryant_7) May 14, 2017
Essentially, Bryant says that he had no intention of committing to Georgia and merely felt proud of the scholarship offer he had received, and that he had left a voicemail about the offer with Wisconsin quality control assistant Jon Budmayr the night before he sent the now-infamous tweet. Per Bryant, he told Budmayr he was “still 100% committed to the Badgers.” Despite that assurance, Bryant was informed the next morning that he was no longer a good fit for Wisconsin.
Humbled to receive an offer from The University of Georgia pic.twitter.com/o1wK07XVaZ
— Ben Bryant (@benbryant_7) May 12, 2017
Bryant went on to say communication with Wisconsin had been “subpar at times and during several visits.” Despite that, he reiterated was excited to play in Madison and accepted some fault for communicating with another school despite his commitment. He finished the statement wishing the Wisconsin coaching staff and 2018 recruiting class well.
This isn’t Wisconsin’s first communication snafu with a recruit to come out this year, as they also left offensive lineman recruit and current Nebraska commit Matt Sichterman hanging after he made the weight they had asked for. Granted, we are only hearing the recruits’ side of this story, but it remains a bad look.