Purdue is mired in a three-game losing streak and searching for a new head coach. But there is still some hope in West Lafayette because somehow Purdue still has a chance to make the Rose Bowl.
Reddit user “BoilerUp218” mapped out how the Boilermakers could do it. It would take tons of luck and lots of winning, but it’s mathematically possible. Here’s how it could go down from BoilerUp218:
- Purdue has to win out (5-4 Conference)
- Nebraska has to lose out (4-5 Conference)
- Minnesota beats Nebraska, loses to Northwestern (5-4 Conference)
- Wisconsin to lose to Illinois (5-4 Conference best case)
- Iowa has to lose everything except Nebraska game (4-5 Conference)
- Northwestern has to lose to Illinois (5-4 Conference)
- Illinois loses to MSU this week (4-5 Conference)
If all of this somehow happens, that would make Purdue the Big Ten West winner due to head to head wins against Wisconsin, Northwestern and Minnesota — which would all come in this far-fetched scenario. That would put the Boilermakers (currently 3-5, 1-4 in the conference) in the Big Ten title game against the east champion. All they’d have to do from there is beat Michigan or Ohio State (probably).
Then it’s off to Pasadena.