Penn State entered Saturday still in search of a signature win in the James Franklin tenure. The 2 1/2-year wait ended that night when the Nittany Lions handed then-No. 2 Ohio State its first loss of the season, 24-21.
So how did people react? Well, Franklin said he received 348 text messages from people after the game congratulating him for the huge win.
While Franklin obviously was thrilled with the win, all those messages proved to be a hurdle. So he copied and pasted the same messages to respond: “Thank you” and “thanks, brother, appreciate it” were the favorites.
Here are other highlights from Wednesday’s press conference:
- On the rush of students running onto the field to celebrate, Franklin joked that the police helped keep fans from grabbing his bald head.
- Besides the text messages, Franklin had another reason to consider last week an unusual one: Franklin’s basement was flooded because of all the rain.
- Franklin mentioned an interesting anecdote about QB Trace McSorley’s mom. She gets snacks for the offensive line every week.
- On getting snaps from the shotgun, even in victory formation, Franklin said they never take the snap under center during the game, so there’s no reason to chance that in a critical moment.
- On making it to the AP Top 25 for the first time since 2011: “It’s nice to be part of that conversation again.”
Franklin: QB McSorley's mom gets snacks for the PSU OL every Friday. Finds a bakery or the like and gets something new every week
— Josh Moyer (@ESPNJoshMoyer) October 26, 2016
“We don’t believe in recruiting kickers,” JF said about Gillikin. “We believe in recruiting athletes who happen to kick."
— Collegian Football (@psufootblog) October 26, 2016