Ohio State football: Tate Martell’s bright future, Rutgers game time set, injury updates
Ohio State football is the No. 1 topic in Wake Up Sloopy every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across Buckeyes sports. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Ohio State football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Tate Martell contributing for Ohio State
Tate Martell might not play on Saturdays, but that doesn’t mean he’s not contributing to Ohio State. Here’s what coach Urban Meyer had to say about him on Monday in regards to his work as a scout team quarterback who has worked to prepare the Buckeyes for Baker Mayfield and Army’s triple option.
“I’m really excited for his future,” Meyer said. “I’ve seen a guy that’s ripped his chest open. I hope it stays that way and he’s a ‘I’ll do anything to help this team win a game.’ Those are the guys whose careers will take off. The other stuff, I’ll transfer here, transfer, go do a research project and see how many people fail when they’re being given bad advice. He’s handled it very well.”
Ohio State-Rutgers game time set
Ohio State will get a chance to play in one of college football’s most electric atmospheres in a couple of weeks. That’s right — the Buckeyes will get to experience a night game at Rutgers on Sept. 30.
In 2015, Ohio State won 49-7 under the bright lights of High Point Solutions Stadium.
Urban Meyer gives injury updates
Here’s a quick rundown from what Meyer said Monday about Ohio State’s various injuries.
- Middle linebacker Chris Worley is “questionable” for UNLV because of a right foot sprain.
- Running back Mike Weber still isn’t 100 percent.
- Demario McCall “has not been at full speed” because of a groin/ab injury.
- Cornerback Shaun Wade “has been dinged up a bit.”
What else we wrote
A brief look at what we recently published:
- The Monday recruiting notebook has an update on quarterback recruiting
- Scarlet and Gray replay: Re-watching Ohio State’s game against Army
- Five lessons learned from the Army win
- Ezekiel Elliott should probably try harder
- Michigan QB Wilton Speight didn’t like losing to Ohio State
Other news to note
We’re not the only site that covers the Buckeyes. Some items from our friends at other outlets.
- Bill Landis of Cleveland.com notes the Buckeyes have some special teams concerns
- Perfection is too much to ask, writes Rob Oller of the Columbus Dispatch
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Ohio State message board to get Buckeyes analysis from Jeremy Birmingham, Austin Ward and myself. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
— BenVictor‼️👳🏾 (@BinjimenVictor) September 18, 2017
— Brendon White (@therealestbw0) September 18, 2017
Trust the process, your time is coming.. When it does, make the most of it…
— CY2 (@youngchase907) September 18, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Wake Up Sloopy? No worries. We have all our past editions here.