Ohio State football: What’s next for J.T. Barrett? Buckeyes fall in polls, Micah Parsons apologizes
Ohio State football is the No. 1 topic in Wake Up Sloopy every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across Buckeyes sports. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Ohio State football, recruiting, basketball and more.
What now for J.T. Barrett?
It sure sounds like J.T. Barrett won’t lose his starting job despite his recent struggles dating back to the end of the 2016 season. Still, there doesn’t appear to be an easy solution to the Buckeyes’ woes on offense, especially at quarterback.
Whether or not Barrett keeps his job though, it seems fair to suggest a change should at least be considered. Urban Meyer once benched a national championship-winning quarterback who never lost a game at Ohio State, so nobody should be immune to that possibility.
Buckeyes drop in rankings
Ohio State fell in both polls on Sunday, dropping to No. 8 in the AP Top 25 and No. 9 in the Amway Coaches Poll.
The Buckeyes also lost their top spot in the Land of 10 Big Ten Power Poll, falling to No. 3. The No. 1 ranking now belongs to Penn State, which got 12 of 13 first-place votes.
Micah Parsons apologizes
While on his official visit, 5-star defensive end Micah Parsons made waves Saturday night after the game for tweeting that he thought redshirt freshman quarterback Dwayne Haskins should start. It’s rare to ever see a recruit be critical of a team near the top of his list, much less while on campus for a visit.
On Sunday, Parsons walked back those comments. “My fault about J.T.,” he wrote. “I was just in my feelings last night about the game. #GoBucks”
Here’s how Ohio State teams fared over the weekend:
- Women’s soccer lost to St. Joseph’s 1-0 on Sunday.
- Field hockey lost 3-1 to Wake Forest on Sunday.
- Women’s volleyball lost 3-1 to Notre Dame on Sunday.
- Football lost 31-16 to Oklahoma on Saturday.
What else we wrote
A brief look at what we recently published:
- The Sunday recruiting notebook looks at the impact of a loss on recruiting
- Ignoring the running backs cost the Buckeyes dearly against Oklahoma
- The Buckeyes rank last in pass defense
- What is Ohio State’s current bowl projection?
- Watch postgame interviews following the loss to the Sooners
- Buckeye Leaves: Which players stood out against Oklahoma?
- How Ohio State commitments fared last weekend in high school games
- The Ohio Stadium crowd was loud despite not having much to cheer
Other news to note
We’re not the only site that covers the Buckeyes. Some items from our friends at other outlets.
- Ohio State tops USA Today’s Misery Index, a listing of the gloomiest fan bases of the week
- Kevin Harrish of Eleven Warriors interviewed OSU fans on camera after the game and it’s nothing if not entertaining
- From Tim Bielik of Cleveland.com, seven plays that shaped Ohio State-Oklahoma
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Ohio State message board to get Buckeyes analysis from Jeremy Birmingham, Austin Ward and myself. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
— Johnnie L. Dixon III (@YoungKing_JD5) September 11, 2017
Thanks to all the true fans who stayed until the end your the best 🙂 we'll be alrite
— Nick Bosa (@nbsmallerbear) September 10, 2017
"A loss ain't a loss it's a lesson, appreciate the pain it's a blessing." – Smile
— Tracy Sprinkle (@TSprinkle93) September 10, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Wake Up Sloopy? No worries. We have all our past editions here.