Ohio State football one spot from the top, J.T. Barrett sets a record and more
Ohio State football is the No. 1 topic in Wake Up Sloopy every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across Buckeyes sports. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Ohio State football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Ohio State opens at No. 2
The Associated Press Top 25 was released Monday, and Ohio State debuted at No. 2. Don’t expect any parties to be thrown at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, though.
“You know my answer, right? I don’t care,” Urban Meyer said at his Monday news conference. “We’ve got kicking meetings here in an hour. Got to be ready for that.”
Despite Meyer’ feelings, there’s a compelling case that starting out in the second spot is the best-case scenario for the Buckeyes.
J.T. Barrett a 3-time captain
J.T. Barrett keeps making history at Ohio State. On Monday, he was one of nine players selected as a 2017 team captain. More importantly, though, he became the first three-time captain in program history.
Billy Price, Tyquan Lewis, Chris Worley, Tracy Sprinkle, Jalyn Holmes, Sam Hubbard, Parris Campbell and Terry McLaurin were also named captains. Nine is the highest number of captains in program history. The 2016 Buckeyes had seven captains.
Ohio State also posted a must-watch video of Sprinkle’s mom hearing the news.
Position battle updates
Meyer addressed the status of a few key position battles Monday.
- Right guard remains open, with Branden Bowen, Malcolm Pridgeon, Matthew Burrell and Demetrius Knox fighting to start.
- Safety is down to Erick Smith and Jordan Fuller.
- Sean Nuernberger leads the kicking battle, but freshman Blake Haubeil is not far behind.
Here’s how Ohio State teams fared on Monday night.
- The women’s soccer team played to a scoreless tie at No. 8 BYU to move to 1-0-1 overall.
What else we wrote
A brief look at what we recently published about Ohio State:
- The Monday recruiting notebook details the rankings bump some recruits received
- Here are three observations from defensive line interviews
- The Buckeyes are a big-time ticket draw thanks to their impressive schedule
- Ranking the best Class of 2018 high school players in the state of Ohio
- Who will lead Ohio State in sacks in 2017?
Other news to note
We’re not the only site that covers Ohio State. Some items from our friends at other outlets.
- SEC Country’s Kentucky site analyzed Blue Smith’s looming decision between Ohio State and the Wildcats.
- Kyle Jones of Eleven Warriors breaks down Isaiah Prince’s improvement
- Ari Wasserman of The Athletic gave his takes on Meyer’s news conference
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Ohio State message board to get Buckeyes analysis from Jeremy Birmingham, Austin Ward and myself. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
The @Marvel covers are here!
With CFB's kickoff weekend just 10 days away, we're rolling out the top six matchups in the next 30 minutes. pic.twitter.com/sxwYZO0LNo
— ESPN CollegeFootball (@ESPNCFB) August 21, 2017
— Zach Smith #Zone6 (@CoachZachSmith) August 21, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Wake Up Sloopy? No worries. We have all our past editions here.