Ohio State football: Buckeyes fall in AP Top 25, J.T. Barrett sets a record, Urban Meyer’s Carmen Ohio guest
Ohio State football is the No. 1 topic in Wake Up Sloopy every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across Buckeyes sports. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Ohio State football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Ohio State drops in AP Top 25
Despite a comfortable 38-7 win against Army, Ohio State fell two spots to No. 10 in the AP Top 25 that was released Sunday. Perhaps a more accurate way of looking at that is saying the Buckeyes were passed by Oklahoma State and Wisconsin. Ohio State remained No. 9 in the Amway Coaches Poll.
On the bright side for Ohio State fans, the Buckeyes moved up a spot in Land of 10’s Big Ten Power Poll that was released Sunday night, moving past Michigan.
J.T. Barrett passes Drew Brees
Quarterback J.T. Barrett is now atop the Big Ten’s list of career touchdowns responsible for, passing former Purdue QB Drew Brees.
Against Army, Barrett hit Austin Mack for a score that was the 107th of his career. He had two touchdowns earlier in the game to pull even with Brees.
Urban Meyer’s Carmen Ohio guest
Urban Meyer was joined for the singing of the Ohio State alma mater by a West Point cadet.
Who was he? Cadet Jason Hug is an Ohio native in his senior year at West Point. He had a field pass and introduced himself to Meyer after the game, which led to the invite to sing Carmen Ohio with the Buckeyes.
Here’s how Ohio State teams fared last weekend:
- Women’s soccer lost 1-0 to Northwestern on Sunday
- Field hockey won 3-0 at Ohio on Sunday; lost 3-2 Friday at Northwestern
- Men’s soccer won at Rutgers 1-0 on Sunday
- Women’s volleyball beat Dayton 3-0 on Saturday; on Friday lost 3-0 to Western Kentucky and won 3-1 over Northern Illinois
- Football won 38-7 against Army on Saturday
What else we wrote
A brief look at what we recently published:
- The Sunday recruiting notebook has an update on Jackson Carman
- Barrett added an impressive chapter to his complicated legacy
- J.K. Dobbins jump-started the Buckeyes offense in the second half
- Malik Hooker made an interception in his first NFL start
- Watch postgame interviews following the victory over Army
- Buckeye Leaves: Which players stood out against Army?
- How Ohio State commitments fared last weekend in high school games
Other news to note
We’re not the only site that covers the Buckeyes. Some items from our friends at other outlets.
- Doug Lesmerises of Cleveland.com on the throw J.T. Barrett needs to make more often
- Kevin Harrish of Eleven Warriors interviewed OSU fans on camera after the game
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Ohio State message board to get Buckeyes analysis from Jeremy Birmingham, Austin Ward and myself. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
— Urban Meyer (@OSUCoachMeyer) September 17, 2017
1 year Ago this month I tore my ACL … Yesterday I had my first collegiate catch.. God is so Good 🙏🏽👆🏽 pic.twitter.com/NbnWT1lZ3H
— GrimeTime™ (@Trevongrimes8) September 18, 2017
Thank you God 🙏 pic.twitter.com/yV7Tvjh1kq
— Dwayne Haskins, Jr🌹 (@dh_simba7) September 18, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Wake Up Sloopy? No worries. We have all our past editions here.