Ohio State football: Recruits back Dwayne Haskins, Urban Meyer responds, UNLV game time announced
Ohio State football is the No. 1 topic in Wake Up Sloopy every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across Buckeyes sports. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Ohio State football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Recruits call for Dwayne Haskins
On his official visit last weekend, 5-star defensive end Micah Parsons called for redshirt freshman Dwayne Haskins to replace J.T. Barrett at quarterback, though he later backed off a bit.
It turns out he has some company, though. On Monday night 5-star tackle Jackson Carman showed his support for Haskins, as did current Buckeyes safety commit Jaiden Woodbey.
Urban Meyer offers his thoughts
During his Monday press conference, Urban Meyer was asked about Parsons’ tweets — though indirectly, since coaches cannot speak about specific recruits. He didn’t have too much to say when asked about whether criticizing the program could have a negative impact on a recruit.
“Sure,” Meyer said. “I was made aware of something and I let other people know — I was made aware of it.”
UNLV game time set
Ohio State has had some late starts this season, but the Buckeyes won’t have to worry about that against UNLV.
The first game against the Rebels in program history will take place at noon ET, it was announced Monday.
What else we wrote
A brief look at what we recently published:
- The Monday recruiting notebook gets recruit reactions from the Oklahoma game
- Scarlet and Gray replay: Observations from rewatching the loss
- 5 lessons learned from the Oklahoma game
- It’s time to give the backup quarterbacks some playing time
- Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield apologizes for his flag plant
Other news to note
We’re not the only site that covers the Buckeyes. Some items from our friends at other outlets.
- The Washington Post put together a stats-based look at why the Buckeyes are still likely to win out
- From The Athletic: Ari Wasserman’s takeaways from Urban Meyer’s press conference
- The Oklahoma loss is worse than the Fiesta Bowl, writes Tony Gerdeman of The Ozone
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Ohio State message board to get Buckeyes analysis from Jeremy Birmingham, Austin Ward and myself. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
So when is my boy @dh_simba7 gone play
— J-DUB ‼️ (@JaidenWoodbey) September 11, 2017
You can't fake passion. 💯 pic.twitter.com/WxvVkVDanz
— Jk dobbins (@Jkdobbins22) September 11, 2017
Takes a lot of bodies to block Joey Bosa. pic.twitter.com/j4TJRAHanw
— CBS Sports (@CBSSports) September 12, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Wake Up Sloopy? No worries. We have all our past editions here.