Ohio State football: Demario McCall’s status, more black stripes off, 5-star prospect wants to visit
Ohio State football is the No. 1 topic in Wake Up Sloopy every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across Buckeyes sports. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Ohio State football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Demario McCall suffers setback
It sounded as though Demario McCall was getting close to being turned loose, but it appears fans might have to wait longer to see him in action.
Speaking on his radio show Thursday, Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer said the running back suffered a setback at practice Wednesday. That’s disappointing news for the coaching staff, since they want to see what he can do for the offense.
“He’s certainly a guy we want to take a look at,” Meyer said.
Four more black stripes removed
Another four freshmen had their black stripes removed, a sign that they’ve done enough to be considered true Buckeyes in the eyes of the coaching staff.
The list of players earning that honor is as follows:
- Wide receiver Jaylen Harris
- Linebacker Baron Browning
- Offensive guard Josh Myers
- Wide receiver Garyn Prater (a walk-on)
5-star WR wants to visit Ohio State
St. Brown, a 5-star receiver from Anaheim (Calif.) Mater Dei, was speaking at his U.S. Army All-American Bowl jersey ceremony. He said he hasn’t set up a visit with the Buckeyes yet but that they’re on the list of the schools he’d like to see in person.
What else we wrote
A brief look at what we recently published:
- Ohio State recruiting mailbag: What’s the latest with Jackson Carman?
- The story of the unique warmup routine for Buckeye quarterbacks
- Early kickoffs don’t lead to slow starts for the Buckeyes
- Ranking the best recruiting prospects from Ohio
- The football team is worth a boatload of money
- Ohio State settled with Oklahoma State on a trademark disagreement
Other news to note
We’re not the only site that covers the Buckeyes. Some items from our friends at other outlets.
- Sports Illustrated profiled Joey and Nick Bosa, pass rushing prodigies
- Sports On Earth listed Ohio Stadium as the second-best stadium in college football
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Ohio State message board to get Buckeyes analysis from Jeremy Birmingham, Austin Ward and myself. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
— Ohio State Football (@OhioStateFB) September 21, 2017
How firm thy friendship…OHIO pic.twitter.com/2kZfRKQrBr
— Brendon White (@therealestbw0) September 21, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Wake Up Sloopy? No worries. We have all our past editions here.