Joey Bosa’s representatives issue statement, say the Chargers are trying to ‘manipulate facts’
Former Ohio State star Joey Bosa is currently in an intense contract dispute with the San Diego Chargers. His representatives released a statement following the Chargers’ releasing their own on Twitter earlier on Wednesday.
Here’s the official Statement from Joey Bosa’s representatives, as shared by ESPN’s Adam Schefter:
It is unfortunate the San Diego Chargers have decided to manipulate facts and negotiate in the media. The team surely is not strengthening its relationship with Joey Bosa by taking this stance and making their position public.
We have decided that we will not engage in public negotiations or discuss numbers and/or terms in this negotiation.
We will say, that it is ironic that the team now takes issue with the timing of Joey’s arrival, since the Chargers unilaterally decided to remain silent for the first 14 days of training camp instead of replying in a timely fashion to the proposal we made on the eve of training camp on July 28th.
At this point, all we can do is continue to fight for a fair contract on behalf of our client, as we do for all of our clients. The Chargers can focus on trying to sway public opinion, but our focus will remain on our client and securing a contract for him that is fair and consistent with his draft position.
Wednesday has a whirlwind day for Bosa, the No. 3 overall pick, and his contract battle with the Chargers. The team went to Twitter to share what the offer included, saying the initial signing bonus was the highest for any player in the last two drafts. The Chargers called it their “best offer.”
The two sides disagree over when the bonus money will be paid out and how much they would owe him if he’s cut in his first four years.
The NFL regular season is only a little more than two weeks away, thus raising concerns Bosa could miss games — or even the entire season.
Larry Johnson, Bosa’s defensive line coach at Ohio State, said he thinks Bosa will play, as reported by Doug Lesmerises of Cleveland.com.
“I think he’s going to play, I do,” Johnson said in Lesmerises’ story. “I really believe he’s going to camp and play.”