Practice notes: Mike Riley announces team captains and freshmen who won’t redshirt
LINCOLN, Neb. – After DJ Kool exited the stage coach Mike Riley took the podium and announced team captains after practice on Saturday night. That and more notes from practice:
- The team voted seniors Jordan Westerkamp, Josh Banderas, Dylan Utter and Nate Gerry to be team captains. The seniors also approached Riley about having Sam Foltz Memorial Captain, which Riley will select himself before every game.
- Riley defended the selection of Nate Gerry as a captain despite Gerry’s one game suspension for the first game against Fresno State next Saturday. Riley said Gerry’s suspension was a one time thing and doesn’t diminish his role on the team.
- Riley also defended senior quarterback Tommy Armstrong not being voted a captain. Riley pointed to former Nebraska quarterbacks Scott Frost and Tommy Frazier, who were both not captains their senior years.
- Senior Sam Hahn will start at left guard in place of Jerald Foster, Riley announced.
- A few freshman Riley said will not be redshirting include Lamar Jackson, Tre Bryant and JoJo Domann. Riley said a bunch of freshman are on the verge of redshirting, including JD Spielman.
- Riley said Tre Bryant will likely return kick-offs.
- Nebraska’s scrimmage was mostly focused on situational plays. The team practiced in shorts and pads, so it was not full contact.
- About 3,500 students showed up to watch for the Boneyard Bash, which was put on by the Nebraska student section.
- LB Dedrick Young did not practice due to a groin injury.