LINCOLN, Neb. – The fall semester has officially kicked off at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Football players took to the field on Tuesday for the first time since fall camp ended on Saturday. Some notes from practice.
- A few players who sat out with injuries during fall camp practiced on Tuesday, including WR Jordan Westerkamp and LB Michael Rose-Ivey.
- Nebraska’s just-revealed alternate uniform was on display at the Hawks Championship Center. Players were thrilled with the choice to go with white tops and white pants. RB Devine Ozigbo said it might be the slickest jersey he’s ever seen.
- After a busy, and impressive, scrimmage on Saturday for WR De’Mornay Pierson-El, the junior is taking his successes day by day. He said on Tuesday he doesn’t have any goals of catches or punt return yards in his head for this season, just to do what he can with the gifts God gave him.
- Pierson-El said the touchdown he caught during the scrimmage on Saturday was motivation, more than anything. It made him want to work harder for that feeling, to watch more film, work on his craft, and do things right to be able to make those touchdown moments spark more when they happen in games.
- WR Brandon Reilly said there is both camaraderie and competition at the wide receivers group. There are still open spots to travel with the team as a receiver, Reilly said, so the competition for the lower spots are pretty fierce.
- Reilly said his expectations for the wide receivers group are high, even for the guys lower on the food chain. “Everyone talks about who is the best in the conference,” Reilly said. “We don’t like to publicize that too much but we feel we can be that top group. But you can only say so much, you gotta prove it.”