LINCOLN, Neb. – The game between Nebraska and South Dakota on Saturday afternoon was a reunion of sorts, and coaches Tim Miles and Craig Smith made sure the day ended that way.
The two men, who coached together at North Dakota State, Marysville State, Colorado State and Nebraska, did their post game press conference side by side after Nebraska’s 73-61 win.
The two swapped jokes and stories during the 15 minutes presser, occasionally answering questions about the win.
Here’s what the two said.
South Dakota coach Craig Smith:
- “It was all win for us and not much to gain for coach Miles and Nebraska so I appreciate them letting us come in and play here. It was different for us. Their guys are bigger and stronger and we were just bouncing off them like a pinball in the lane. And, once we settled in, I thought we played well.”
- “I’m proud of how we played when we got down 22 in a hostile environment with such a young team. This was game 10. So 10 games, nine practices, two days off in the last 22 days with 10 newly eligible players in our program – so it’s hard to fine-tune things. We’ll finally now be able to settle in and just get better.
- On Nebraska’s team: “(Tai) Webster is a load. I think Ed Morrow, that dude just eats the rim. (Michael) Jacobson just doesn’t. Tthe guy just doesn’t make any mistakes and it’s just matter of getting some of those freshman going and getting some minutes.”
Nebraska coach Tim Miles:
- On what changed in the second half: “Their press-zone combo, it gets guys on their heels. And that just, we had that stretch where we didn’t score a lot. And, at the same time, I didn’t think we were doing our job being aggressive.”
- “I’ve got this guy over here (points to Smith) auditioning for my job. You’re not going to get me yet, buddy.”
- “We have a couple threes, which was good. We have to make threes. We have to have guys get ready to make threes.”
- On the play of the freshmen: “These guys just don’t know how to play hard enough yet.”
- On if his team looked ahead to Creighton and Kansas next week. “No, I don’t think so. I talked to Morrow and Jacobson after the game, and they’re hanging their heads like they lost their puppy dog and they were like, ‘We have to do a better job on the boards,’ and I thought that that’s a good mentality to be in. But there’s no doubt they know that they had to bring their best tonight.”
- On the upcoming week: “It’s a huge week for us. Creighton is better than I think I thought they were going to be. And with Kansas, I wanted to play a Big 12 team and start that up again so that will be good.”
- “I just appreciate Craig and his team. They made us better tonight. I think we got more out of tonight than they did.”