Another week, another topsy-turvy news cycle for Nebraska recruiting.
In the past seven days, Nebraska’s flipped 2-star OT Chris Walker from Wyoming to its 2017 class, helped convince a Cal commit to de-commit and visit Lincoln, added a 4-star corner to its 2018 class, and resumed re-recruiting Jamire Calvin, who de-committed from Oregon State this week.
This weekend, the pace picks up with a slew of top targets coming to Lincoln for official visits. Here’s who Nebraska has hosted recently, who is coming this week, and some predictions for the week ahead.
Who has recently taken official visits?
(bolded names denote committed players)
Dec. 7, 2016
- Corrion Ballard – 4-star safety; committed to Utah
Dec. 9, 2016
- Ben Miles – 3-star fullback commit
- Isaac Slade-Matautia – 4-star outside linebacker; was visited by ex-defensive coordinator Mark Banker during visiting period
- Gavin Holmes – 3-star wide receiver
Jan. 13, 2017
- Kurt Rafdal – 3-star tight end; recently de-committed from Indiana.
- Chris Walker – 2-star offensive tackle from Lincoln, Neb.
- Guy Thomas – 3-star defensive tackle and commit.
- Randal Grimes – 3-star athlete from Las Vegas.
- Jeremiah Hawkins – 3-star wide receiver and Cal commit.
Who has official visits planned?
Jan. 20, 2017
- Deontre Thomas – 3-star defensive end and current Nebraska commit.
- Deommodore Lenoir – 4-star corner and No. 7 corner in the 2017 class. Former Oregon commit. Was visited this week by head coach Mike Riley and cornerbacks coach Donte Williams.
- Brenden Jaimes – 3-star offensive tackle and current Nebraska commit.
- Jaylin Bradley – 3-star running back and recent Nebraska commit.
- Elijah Blades – 4-star corner and current Florida commit.Was visited this week by Riley and Williams.
- Bryan Thompson – 3-star wide receiver and former Boise State commit.
Jan. 27, 2017
- Michael Onyemaobi – 3-star athlete and former Cal commit. Met this week with Riley and Williams.
- Nick Robinson – 3-star wide receiver and former Memphis commit.
- Tyjon Lindsey – 4-star wide receiver commit. Highest-rated recruit in Nebraska’s 2017 class.
Who is expected to enroll early?
All five of Nebraska’s early enrollees are on campus: Tristan Gebbia, Jaevon McQuitty, Keyshawn Johnson, Broc Bando and Avery Roberts.
Are any commitments wavering?
Deontre Thomas, a 3-star defensive tackle from Oklahoma, told Land of 10 last week that he’s looking for a “plan B” school. Oklahoma and Notre Dame are recruiting him hard, he said, so he’s looking into those schools. He was just visited by defensive line coach John Parrella and remains committed to Nebraska. A visit to Lincoln this week may solidify his commitment.
Brenden Jaimes, a 3-star offensive tackle from Texas, was recently offered by Texas and visited by Nebraska coaches this week. He’s been adamant he’ll remain a commit, but two separate visits by Nebraska coaches is slightly unordinary. Jaimes is visiting this week, so again, his commitment could solidify after this weekend.
What is this week’s best guess?
Last week, we predicted Tyjon Lindsey would commit. The 4-star former Ohio State commit did just that this week.
It wouldn’t be shocking to see 4-star Jamire Calvin follow the same pattern. Calvin de-committed from Oregon State this week. He committed to the Beavers on Jan. 7, but de-committed just 10 days later. Land of 10 sources had been adamant that Calvin would still end up at Nebraska.
Calvin was a silent commit for months before committing to Oregon State, and Nebraska coaches and the 2017 recruiting class were shocked to learn he picked Oregon State.
Another top wide receiver target, Gavin Holmes, will announce his commitment on Monday. Though he was a heavy favorite to commit to Nebraska a few weeks ago, Arizona State has put the full-court press on Holmes. The 3-star receiver has an official visit at Baylor this weekend. No official prediction, but Holmes is now far from a lock for Nebraska.