Stay updated as Michigan rises toward the top of the recruiting rankings. Don’t miss the coverage from Michigan recruiting reporter Evan Petzold. Read his daily notebooks here at 7:30 p.m. ET Sunday through Thursday, and follow us on Twitter for the latest Wolverines recruiting news.
2020 ATH Michael Drennen II earns offer at camp in Ann Arbor
On June 18, Dublin (Ohio) Coffman 2020 4-star athlete Michael Drennen II went to Michigan’s camp and left with an offer in hand.
“It was a great camp,” Drennen said. “We started with combine stuff, and then actually started doing camp stuff. I won MVP and got the offer.”
— Mike Drennen II (@UhhMyNameDonut) June 19, 2018
The 5-foot-11, 190-pound athlete has offers from Michigan, Akron, Boston College, Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Minnesota, Saginaw Valley State and Toledo. When he received the offer from coach Jim Harbaugh, Drennen went into shock.
“It was one of those moments that I had to question if life was real because I was so excited,” he said.
Right now, Drennen and his family’s fandom for the Wolverines will play into his decision.
“Michigan is definitely a priority,” Drennen added. “People in my family like the team, so it made them proud. A few of my extended family, friends and my dad like Michigan.”
He does not know when he will make a commitment.
Michigan recently added a 2020 commitment from Belleville (Mich.) 3-star cornerback Andre Seldon. He is recruiting a plethora of his friends, including Drennen.
— 2͓̽ (@AndreSeldonjr) June 20, 2018
Drennen is ranked No. 186 in the nation, No. 19 at the running back position and No. 4 in Ohio, according to 247Sports.
2020 RB Darvon Hubbard feels an offer coming from Michigan
Like Drennen, Scottsdale (Ariz.) Chaparral 2020 4-star running back Darvon Hubbard attended Michigan’s camp on June 18. Unlike Drennen, Hubbard did not receive an offer.
However, he still enjoyed the time on the field in Ann Arbor.
“It was a great experience,” Hubbard said. “I really enjoyed the facilities and the family environment provided by the coaches. All the talent at the camp was great.
“I just loved competing with them all.”
During the camp, the 6-0, 200-pound offensive standout spent time bonding with almost all the Michigan coaches. He was looking for advice and attempting to build relationships with them.
“We talked about the drills they do and things to help me get better as a player,” Hubbard said. “Being around them is crazy because they all have such big names.”
Hubbard has offers to play for Ohio State, Alabama, Arizona, Auburn, Bowling Green, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Toledo and Utah.
He feels Michigan will “definitely offer in the future.”
“I’m open to all schools who are willing to give me a chance,” he said.
Hubbard has a connection to the Wolverines. His coach at Buchtel High School, which he transferred from on July 30, 2017, played at Michigan.
Thanks to everyone at Buchtel made me who I am but i will be continuing my high school career at Chaparall High School🏈📚 pic.twitter.com/9YT9lmKhH9
— 4 (@Iam_dxii) July 30, 2017
“My old head coach has had a huge impact on my life and played with Desmond Howard at Michigan,” Hubbard said.
His old coach, Ricky Powers, was a running back in the NFL for the Cleveland Browns (1995) and Baltimore Ravens (1996) after going undrafted out of Michigan. He was an All-Big Ten Conference member, 3-time Big Ten Conference Champion, 2-time Ohio High School Athletic Association state champion and a USA Today High School All-American in 1989.
Powers led Michigan with 1,251 yards in 1991, which was the same year Howard won the Heisman Trophy.
Prediction: 247Sports Crystal Ball for 2019 DE David Ojabo
I have put in my 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction for David Ojabo to Michigan.
The 6-5, 233-pound defensive lineman visited and camped at Michigan on June 18 and enjoyed his time, putting the Wolverines near the top of his offer sheet.
— King Ojabo🎈 (@DavidOjabo) June 18, 2018
“All I’m saying is they [are] really high on my list,” Ojabo said of Michigan.
Michigan controls 64 percent of Ojabo’s Crystal Ball prediction, while Penn State currently holds the remaining 36 percent.
Ojabo is ranked No. 487 in the 2019 class, No. 32 at his position and No. 10 in New Jersey, according to 247Sports composite.
When push comes to shove, Michigan seems to be in the lead for Ojabo and should blow him away with an outstanding official visit, leading to a commitment.
Miss any editions of our daily Michigan recruiting notebook? You can find them all here.