Michigan football wrapped up its first day of spring practice and Jim Harbaugh addressed the media.
Here’s what he had to say:
- Harbaugh said offensive lineman Grant Newsome isn’t practicing yet.
- He had recently told reporters that it’s up to doctors on if he can and will ever play again. Newsome is training with his teammates but still hasn’t been cleared to play or practice.
- Harbaugh also said tight end Ty Wheatley will be out for spring with a fractured metatarsal in his foot but will return for the fall.
- The coach then noted that there’s no update on quarterback Shea Patterson’s status. When he was asked, he replied: “I don’t have an update.”
- So far, he noted that reps are evenly distributed between the quarterbacks.
- “Joe Milton, he treated the first practice like a game,” Harbaugh said.
- Harbaugh also said he has not named an offensive coordinator yet.
- At the end he was asked about the Michigan basketball team that beat Texas A&M on Thursday night to go to the Elite Eight. Here’s what he said: “They’re beasts! The way the team played, they could have played the Los Angeles Lakers.”
- He then added: “They’re a great inspiration.”
Here’s Khalid Hill on the basketball team as well: “We’re always talking about the basketball team. Shout-out to them guys, doing what they’re doing.”
Mike McCray said Michigan guard Jaaron Simmons is his cousin and said this:
“My cousin, well, my godbrother, Jaaron Simmons, I’ve got to watch him. I watch it anyways but it’s crazy. The Houston game, it was like 1:00 a.m. and my fiancee was asleep and my dog was sitting next to me. I saw the free throws miss, and I thought, ‘He’s got to make the shot.’ I tweeted, ‘Be great’ in all caps. Then he [Jordan Poole] ended up hitting the shot. I jumped up and screamed, and my dog started barking. And my fiancee woke up. She was scared. She thought something happened.”
“They were on fire the last game. I called that, by the way.”
And what he said when asked if they’re going to win on Saturday:
“They play Florida State, right? They’ve got to get revenge, for them beating us [in the 2016 Orange Bowl].”