We’ve reached the final stretch of another long recruiting cycle.
On Friday, the contact period for NCAA recruiting began, allowing college coaches to start meeting with recruits face to face again. That means official visits, in-home meetings and trips to high schools.
Until Feb. 3, when the period ends, there’s a good chance no coach in the nation will get a full night of sleep. Even with the vast majority of the nation’s committed recruits signing during the Dec. 20-22 early period, plenty remain available. And Michigan State still has a few needs to fill before National Signing Day on Feb. 7.
With that in mind, we bring you our weekly update on Michigan State recruiting and where the Spartans class stands.
Where the Michigan State 2018 recruiting class ranks
Michigan State’s 20-player 2018 class ranks No. 25 in the nation and No. 5 in the Big Ten, according to the 247Sports composite system. Four members of the class carry 4-star ratings.
Latest Michigan State recruiting news
Coming down the stretch of the recruiting cycle, most of our news this week centered around the 2018 class. These are the headlines.
Michigan State recruiting: Impact of Harlon Barnett’s departure, Gervin’s UA All-America performance
Michigan State recruiting: WR Jalen Nailor schedules official visit with Spartans
Michigan State recruiting: Former Pistons coach John Loyer talks son, Spartans 4-star signee Foster Loyer
Michigan State recruiting: Scholarship tracker, Tommy Bush update, new official visitor
Michigan State recruiting: Italian DE Habakkuk Baldonado gets Spartans attention, 2019 prospects land offers
Michigan State recruiting: Top targets on Spartans’ board before National Signing Day
Michigan State recruiting mailbag: Spartans’ chances with Tommy Bush, Foster Loyer’s future role
Michigan State recruiting: Basketball and official football visits winning combination
Michigan State 2018 recruiting offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 234
- 5-star offers: 14
- 4-star offers: 100
- In-state recruits offered: 18
- Georgia recruits offered: 43
- Ohio recruits offered: 28
Michigan State 2018 signees
- QB Theo Day, 4 stars, Dearborn (Mich.) Divine Child
- CB Kalon Gervin, 4 stars, Detroit Cass Tech
- TE Trenton Gillison, 4 stars, Pickerington (Ohio) Central
- DB Xavier Henderson, 4 stars, Pickerington (Ohio) Central
- WR Ja’Vez Alexander, 3 stars, Sandusky (Ohio)
- LB Jeslord Boateng, 3 stars, Dublin (Ohio) Coffman
- RB Elijah Collins, 3 stars, University of Detroit Jesuit
- OL Dimitri Douglas, 3 stars, Saline (Mich.)
- DB Michael Dowell, 3 stars, Lakewood (Ohio) St. Edward
- DL Parks Gissinger, 3 stars, Chaminade (West Hills, Calif.)
- OL Jacob Isaia, 3 stars, Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas)
- DB Chris Jackson, 3 stars, Lassiter (Marietta, Ga.)
- RB La’Darius Jefferson, 3 stars, Muskegon (Mich.)
- LB Chase Kline, 3 stars, Chardon (Ohio)
- WR Julian Major, 3 stars, Penn Hills (Pittsburgh)
- OL James Ohonba, 3 stars, Woodland (Stockbridge, Ga.)
- DL Jacob Slade, 3 stars, Olentangy (Lewis Center, Ohio)
- DL Zach Slade, 3 stars, Olentangy (Lewis Center, Ohio)
- LB Edward Warinner, 3 stars, Olentangy Liberty (Powell, Ohio)
- DB Davion Williams, 3 stars, Belleville (Mich.)
5 top uncommitted 2018 targets
4-star WR Tommy Bush, Samuel Clemens (Schertz, Texas)
Tommy Bush has approximately 50 offers and Michigan State was one of the first to offer in January. He took an official visit in early November that left a strong impression. The Spartans are primarily battling in-state school Baylor and powerhouse Georgia for his commitment. He could still take as many as two official visits before announcing a decision. The Spartans still hold out hope for his pledge and will surely visit him early in the contact period.
3-star DE Jamarcus Chatman, Rome (Ga.)
Jamarcus Chatman wasn’t supposed to be available at this point. He committed to LSU, then de-committed. He committed to Tennessee, then de-committed 10 days before the early signing period in the midst of a coaching turnover. And he’s exactly what Michigan State is looking for. The Spartans offered in March, and the offer still stands, because they plan to bring him in for a visit starting Jan. 19. They’re battling such schools as Georgia Tech and North Carolina.
3-star DT Dashaun Mallory, Bolingbrook (Ill.)
Michigan State and Dashaun Mallory looked like a perfect match from the start. He earned an offer at camp over the summer and wasn’t shy about identifying the Spartans as his longtime dream school. Academic clearance proved to be an issue, but he told Land of 10 recently that he had gained it, allowing him to schedule a official visit. He’s expected to arrive on campus Friday and stay for the weekend. If the Spartans accept it, they could very likely gain a commitment.
3-star WR Jalen Nailor, Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas)
Michigan State offered Jalen Nailor way back, but it never looked like the Spartans had a particularly great shot until just recently. That’s because he de-committed from Arizona State after the Sun Devils fired coach Todd Graham. Now the speedster looks like a possible pickup to round out the class. You can bet his teammate, Jacob Isaia, would like to see him in green. And when Nailor arrives for his official visit this weekend, the Spartans will try to make that happen.
4-star DT Tennessee Pututau, Salt Lake City East
Before his official visit, it didn’t look like Michigan State had much of a shot with Tennessee Pututau, either. After all, he’s got a brother playing for Utah, and two more signed with the Utes. But the trip to Michigan State put the Spartans in more serious consideration for his commitment. It still looks like a long shot, but there’s a chance.
2018 position breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of the number of Michigan State signees by position and how many project to sign at each position:
- QB: 1/1 (Day)
- RB: 2/2 (Collins, Jefferson)
- WR: 2/3 (Alexander, Major)
- TE: 1/1 (Gillison)
- OL: 3/3 (Douglas, Isaia, Ohonba)
- DL: 3/4 (Gissinger, J. Slade, Z. Slade)
- LB: 3/3 (Boateng, Kline, Warinner)
- DB: 5/5 (Dowell, Gervin, Henderson, Jackson, Williams)
2018 geographical breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of Michigan State’s signees by state:
- Ohio: 9 (Alexander, Boateng, Dowell, Gillison, Henderson, Kline, J. Slade, Z. Slade, Warinner)
- Michigan: 6 (Collins, Day, Douglas, Gervin, Jefferson, Williams)
- Georgia: 2 (Jackson, Ohonba)
- California: 1 (Gissinger)
- Nevada: 1 (Isaia)
- Pennsylvania: 1 (Major)