IOWA CITY, Iowa — Iowa dismantled Iowa State on Saturday and when recapping it, Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz discussed center Lucas LeGrand making his first start and addressed center James Daniels and his injury status, the play of quarterback C.J. Beathard and wide receiver Matt VandeBerg and more.
- ON LUCAS LEGRAND: “Lucas LeGrand played a good game from the sideline … happy about that.”
- ON THE CONNECTION WITH C.J. BEATHARD AND MATT VANDEBERG: “Started as we developed last year. I think C.J. has great faith in Matt. Matt is a great football player.”
- ON IOWA’S IMPROVEMENT FROM WEEK 1 TO WEEK 2: “We didn’t play great last week. It wasn’t terrible. It wasn’t great. Way too soft in the rush. They mushed it up on us. That was discouraging. Thought our tempo was better.”
- ON JOSEY JEWELL: “He is a guy you can pretty much count on what you are going to get every week.”
- ON JAMES DANIELS: He wanted to play tonight, but that was out of the question. The injury happened on the next to last play on Wednesday, just our lucky day. I wouldn’t rule him out (next week). … realistically we are probably a week out.”