IOWA CITY, Iowa — Nate Wieland is the latest Iowa football commitment. The Iowa City High product announced his decision on Monday in a tweet.
— Nate Wieland (@NateWieland) January 30, 2017
Here are five things to know about Wieland.
1. Wieland is 6-foot-3, 195 pounds and is a 2-star 247Sports composite prospect. He is ranked No. 19 in Iowa in the class of 2017.
2. At Iowa City High, he played quarterback, but is coming to Iowa as a linebacker. He threw for 1,671 yards, nine touchdowns and five interceptions while rushing for 741 yards and 11 touchdowns last season.
3. His Hudl highlights are of him at quarterback. It’s not the best way to judge his potential ability as a linebacker, but Wieland appears to be one of the better athletes on the field in most clips and isn’t afraid to lower his shoulder and try to run through defenders. The physical aspects of his game will translate well to linebacker.
4. It took the Hawkeyes awhile to offer Wieland, but it didn’t take him long to commit. The offer came on Thursday, a few days after top linebacker target Thomas Johnston picked UAB. The offer was important in getting Wieland to take an official visit this past weekend. He was originally scheduled to take one on Jan. 20 but backed out because he was a Northern Illinois pledge and the Huskies didn’t want a commit visiting another school. Once the offer came, Wieland scheduled another visit, de-commmitted on Sunday and picked the Hawkeyes on Monday.
5. Wieland is the first player to commit who visited during the final recruiting weekend, but he may not be the last. There is still room in the class as the Hawkeyes could add up to five total prospects before signing day, including Wieland. Between now and Wednesday, expect Iowa to add a few more names to the 2017 class.