The Big Ten’s strong collection of talent helped the conference fill in a bunch of spots on Tuesday’s John R. Wooden Award watch list.
Of the 50 players mentioned, 10 play in the Big Ten. Only the ACC has more players with 12. Wisconsin led all Big Ten teams with three players; Indiana had two.
Here are the Big Ten players to make the list:
- James Blackmon Jr., Indiana junior guard
- Miles Bridges, Michigan State freshman guard/forward
- Thomas Bryant, Indiana sophomore center
- Ethan Happ, Wisconsin sophomore forward
- Nigel Hayes, Wisconsin senior forward
- Malcolm Hill, Illinois senior guard
- Peter Jok, Iowa senior guard
- Bronson Koenig, Wisconsin senior guard
- Caleb Swanigan, Purdue sophomore forward
- Melo Trimble, Maryland junior guard
Players not on the watch list are still eligible for the Wooden Award. The watch list is a compilation of the early leaders for the award.
Hill and Blackmon were named Big Ten’s co-Players of the Week to begin the season. Hill scored 40 points in Illinois’ 79-64 win over Northern Kentucky. Blackmon posted 26 points to help the Hoosiers beat Kansas, 103-99.
Bridges was named a co-Freshman of the Week. He had 21 points in Michigan State’s 65-63 loss to Arizona.
— Illinois on BTN (@IllinoisOnBTN) November 14, 2016
— Purdue Basketball (@BoilerBall) November 15, 2016