The TaxSlayer Bowl is looking at three Big Ten teams for this season’s bowl game.
On Wednesday, the TaxSlayer Bowl announced it’s looking at these 10 teams for a bowl matchup:
- Big Ten: Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin
- SEC: Auburn, Florida, LSU
- ACC: Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia Tech
— TaxSlayer Bowl (@taxslayerbowl) November 16, 2016
Georgia beat Penn State 24-17 on Jan. 2, 2016 in the most recent TaxSlayer Bowl. This season’s game is scheduled for 11 a.m. ET on Saturday, Dec. 31. The game will be on ESPN and is played at EverBank Field in Jacksonville, Fla.
Here are the three Big Ten teams’ credentials:
- Minnesota: 7-3 overall (4-3 Big Ten) with remaining games vs. Northwestern and at Wisconsin
- Nebraska: 8-2 overall (5-2 Big Ten) with remaining games vs. Maryland and at Iowa
- Wisconsin: 8-2 overall (5-2 Big Ten) with remaining games at Purdue and vs. Minnesota
Of the three, Wisconsin is the only one with realistic College Football Playoff ambitions. The Badgers are No. 7 in the new rankings going into this week’s games. If Wisconsin wins its next two games, it would play for the Big Ten championship as the West Division winner. Even if the Badgers don’t make the playoff, they could be in consideration for a New Year’s Six game.