Ohio State’s J.T. Barrett, Michigan’s Jabrill Peppers voted preseason Big Ten Players of the Year by media
The two preseason Big Ten Player of the Year selections will go head-to-head in a November game that could decide the conference’s East winner.
In a poll by Cleveland.com, 39 member medias voted Ohio State QB J.T. Barrett and Michigan CB/LB/do-it-all star Jabrill Peppers the Big Ten’s preseason Players of the Year.
Barrett received 34 of 39 first place votes to capture the honor. He’s averaged 8.3 yards per pass attempt while completing 64.2 percent of his throws over the last two years. He has 45 TDs and 14 INTs in 23 career games.
The race for DPOY was much closer, with Iowa CB Desmond King receiving more first place votes (16), but Peppers had 24 first and second place votes combined and edged the 2015 first-team All-American. Peppers will move to linebacker this year after playing corner last year, and also sees snaps on offense.
Here are the full results.
Big Ten preseason media Player of the Year voting
PRESEASON OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
1. Ohio State QB J.T. Barrett, 110 (34)
2. Penn State RB Saquon Barkley, 48 (3)
3. Iowa QB C.J. Beathard, 33
4. Northwestern RB Justin Jackson, 11
5. Wisconsin RB Corey Clement, 9
6. Michigan TE Jake Butt, 5 (1)
6. Nebraska QB Tommy Armstrong, 5
8. Indiana G Dan Feeney, 4 (1)
9. Michigan State RB L.J. Scott, 3
10. Michigan WR Jehu Chesson, 3
11. Ohio State C Pat Elflein, 2
12. Ohio State H-back Curtis Samuel, 1
PRESEASON DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
1. Michigan LB Jabrill Peppers, 65 (13)
2. Iowa CB Desmond King, 60 (16)
3. Michigan State DL Malik McDowell, 35 (4)
4. Ohio State LB Raekwon McMillan, 33 (2)
5. Michigan CB Jourdan Lewis, 21 (2)
6. Northwestern LB Anthony Walker Jr., 18 (2)
7. Michigan DE Chris Wormley, 1
8. Maryland CB William Likely, 1