Alabama and Georgia play in the 2018 National Championship Game at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, Jan. 8. Alabama is a 3.5-point favorite against Georgia. Find full odds and picks for the title game below.
National Championship Game 2018: Betting odds for Alabama-Georgia
Alabama is favored by 3.5 points against Georgia, according to MyBookie. The over/under is at 46 points.
National Championship Game 2018 betting picks
Alabama is trying to win its fifth national championship going back to the 2009 season. Georgia is going for its first national title since the 1980 season.
In the College Football Playoff semifinals, Georgia beat Oklahoma in a two-overtime thriller in the Rose Bowl. However, Alabama easily beat No. 1 Clemson, 24-6. The Crimson Tide didn’t win the SEC West, but Alabama will hold off the Bulldogs to win the College Football Playoff National Championship Game.
Prediction: Alabama 24, Georgia 17
National Championship Game 2018 betting preview
Georgia was the No. 3 team in the College Football Playoff rankings. The Bulldogs are the SEC Champion and beat Oklahoma, 54-48, in the Rose Bowl. Georgia is 13-1.
The Bulldogs have a freshman QB in Jake Fromm and a dynamic tandem of Nick Chubb and Sony Michel at running back.
Alabama is the No. 4 team in the final College Football Playoff rankings. The Crimson Tide are 12-1, with that one loss keeping Alabama from playing for the SEC Championship. But the Crimson Tide still got the final spot in the Playoff. They took advantage by dominating top-ranked Clemson, 24-6.
Alabama is led by QB Jalen Hurts, a strong running game and another powerful defense.
Expect the game to remain close throughout. But the Crimson Tide defense will make one more stop than Georgia’s, especially as the Tide meet a freshman quarterback.
National Championship Game: College Football Playoff, history
This is the fourth year of the College Football Playoff. Before that, the BCS National Championship Game crowned the title winner. The BCS era started in 1998. Clemson is the defending national champion, as the Tigers beat Alabama last year. Alabama defeated Clemson the year prior. Ohio State was the first winner of the College Football Playoff.
College Football Playoff era
- 2017: Clemson 35, Alabama 31 (Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla.)
- 2016: Alabama 45, Clemson 40 (University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.)
- 2015: Ohio State 42, Oregon 20 (AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas)
BCS (Bowl Championship Series) era
- 2014: Florida State 34, Auburn 31 (Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif.)
- 2013: Alabama 42, Notre Dame 14 (Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla.)
- 2012: Alabama 21, LSU 0 (Mercedes-Benz Superdome New Orleans)
- 2011: Auburn 22, Oregon 19 (University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.)
- 2010: Alabama 37, Texas 21 (Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif.)
- 2009: Florida 24, Oklahoma 14 (Dolphin Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla.)
- 2008: LSU 38, Ohio State 24 (Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans)
- 2007: Florida 41, Ohio State 14 (University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.)
- 2006: Texas 41, USC 38 (Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif.)
- 2005: USC 55, Oklahoma 19 (Pro Player Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla.)
- 2004: LSU 21, Oklahoma 14 (Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans)
- 2003: Ohio State 31, Miami (Fla.) 24 in 2OT (Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz.)
- 2002: Miami (Fla.) 37, Nebraska 14 (Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif.)
- 2001: Oklahoma 13, Florida State 2 (Pro Player Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla.)
- 2000: Florida State 46, Virginia Tech 29 (Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans)
- 1999: Tennessee 23, Florida State 16 (Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz.)