The season’s first mock draft from Pro Football Focus goes big on defense for the Big Ten, with five defenders from the conference and six total projected to be taken in the first round of the NFL Draft.
Michigan State might be having a putrid year, but they at least have defensive end Malik McDowell, who PFF projects to be the first player from the Big Ten taken at No. 8 overall to the Chargers.
Michigan is the sole team in the conference to have multiple players taken in the first round with Jourdan Lewis and Jabrill Peppers, while Ohio State, despite being the Big Ten’s top ranked team in the latest College Football Playoff’s rankings, isn’t projected to have a single player’s name called in the first round.
Our first Mock Draft for 2017 is here
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) November 16, 2016
All Big Ten players projected to be taken are listed below.
8. San Diego Chargers: Malik McDowell, Michigan State DE
14. New Orleans Saints: Jourdan Lewis, Michigan CB
15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Desmond King, Iowa CB
17. Tennessee Titans: Jabrill Peppers, Michigan S/LB
28. Seattle Seahawks: Ryan Ramczyk, Wisconsin OT
32. Dallas Cowboys: Dawuane Smoot, Illinois DE