Penn State’s stunning upset of Ohio State proved it again: College football is always ready to surprise. ESPN’s Football Power Index thought Ohio State had an 84.4-percent chance to win just a week ago.
But the result was obviously much different in the 24-21 upset win.
Regardless, here are how some experts and statistics predict this week’s games. Right now, Penn State’s chances of winning vs. Purdue are eerily similar to Ohio State’s vs. Penn State a week ago. The Nittany Lions are on alert to avoid a letdown at Purdue.
And then there’s the Michigan-Michigan State game. The Wolverines have lost seven of eight to the Spartans, but Michigan is ranked No. 2 and Michigan State is on a five-game losing skid. Seems like an obvious result, right? Tell that to the Buckeyes.
Here’s a prediction rundown:
- Michigan at Michigan State: 96 percent Michigan
- Nebraska at Wisconsin: 69.3 percent Wisconsin
- Penn State at Purdue: 83.7 percent Penn State
- Northwestern at Ohio State: 93.4 percent Ohio State
- Minnesota at Illinois: 56 percent Minnesota
- Maryland at Indiana: 51.3 percent Indiana
- Michigan at Michigan State: Michigan -23.5
- Nebraska at Wisconsin: Wisconsin -8.5
- Penn State at Purdue: Penn State -11.5
- Northwestern at Ohio State: Ohio State -26.5
- Minnesota at Illinois: Minnesota -10
- Maryland at Indiana: Indiana -5
- Tom Dienhart: Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Indiana
- Brent Yarina: Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Maryland
- All 6 pick Michigan vs. Michigan State
- All 6 pick Wisconsin vs. Nebraska
- All 6 pick Penn State vs. Purdue
- All 6 pick Ohio State vs. Northwestern
So, what are some of the takeaways? Well, though Nebraska-Wisconsin is a No. 7 vs. No. 11 meeting, the lower-ranked Badgers are seen as the obvious favorite against the undefeated Huskers. Nebraska may be 7-0, but the Huskers trailed Purdue as the half last week and are still looking for a marquee win. Plus, the game is in Madison.