With the final whistle on Saturday night, we’ll have a clearer understanding on a few things.
First, just how dominant is Ohio State? The Buckeyes face what could be the toughest defense this season when they travel to top-10 Wisconsin for a Saturday night game. On the other side, a Wisconsin win would mean the Badgers must be taken seriously in the College Football Playoff conversation.
The other thing to watch is Nebraska. The Huskers are ranked No. 10 as they’ve climbed up the rankings because of ranked teams ahead of them falling all over the place. But if Nebraska wins impressively this week, the Huskers would show they’re a team to be taken seriously on the national level. Road trips are never easy,
Here’s what ESPN’s Football Power Index sees for the six Big Ten games this week:
- Ohio State at Wisconsin: Ohio State 70.6 percent
- Nebraska at Indiana: 77.6 percent
- Northwestern at Michigan State: Northwestern 50.2 percent
- Minnesota at Maryland: Maryland 66.7 percent
- Illinois at Rutgers: Illinois 58.5 percent
- Iowa at Purdue: Iowa 81.2 percent
That’s what a formula thinks. But what about national experts?
- Five of seven experts pick Indiana to beat Nebraska
- Six of the seven think Ohio State will beat Wisconsin — Jon Solomon went with the Badgers
So it looks like national writers like Indiana’s chances to win much, much more than FPI. We’ll see which side wins this battle of Man vs. Machine.