The Big Ten is in position to send four teams to New Year’s Six games. The big question now is how those spots could be filled.
With Ohio State and Michigan both rolling to easy wins on Saturday, the winner of their Nov. 26 showdown continues to be favored to make the College Football Playoff. Wisconsin, however, would have a strong argument should the Badgers win out and beat the East’s representative in the Big Ten championship game.
But it’s important to note what could happen with Penn State. The Nittany Lions are always an attractive program for bowl games, but this year they could be an even stronger contender for a major bowl game. With Penn State having a good chance to finish 10-2, the Nittany Lions are thinking New Year’s Six. CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm currently has Penn State going to the Cotton Bowl, but he acknowledges the Nittany Lions could be making another step up: Rose Bowl.
If Michigan wins out and makes the College Football Playoff, Palm said it’s “possible” Penn State could go to the Rose Bowl. In that situation, 10-2 Penn State would be compared with 10-2 Ohio State and have the head-to-head advantage.
Yes, that's possible https://t.co/Oga3zAZivK
— Jerry Palm (@jppalmCBS) November 6, 2016
Here’s where Palm has the Big Ten this bowl season. Going by these predictions, he thinks Ohio State will beat Michigan and then win the conference title. But he thinks four Big Ten teams will be playing in New Year’s Six games.
- Ohio State: College Football Playoff vs. Alabama
- Michigan: Rose Bowl vs. Utah
- Wisconsin: Orange Bowl vs. Louisville
- Penn State: Cotton Bowl vs. San Diego State
- Nebraska: Outback Bowl vs. Florida
- Iowa: Music City Bowl vs. Arkansas
- Indiana: Foster Farms Bowl vs. Washington State
- Northwestern: Pinstripe Bowl vs. Pitt
- Minnesota: Holiday Bowl vs. Stanford
- Maryland: Quick Lane Bowl vs. Boston College