It’s time for the 2018 NBA Draft Lottery on Tuesday, May 15. Below, find out how the process works. Find full rules, teams, odds and preliminary order below.
Luka Doncic, DeAndre Ayton, Michael Porter Jr., Jaren Jackson Jr., Trae Young and Mohamed Bamba are some of the top prospects available. Whichever team wins the lottery will have their choice. The Phoenix Suns have the best odds of getting that No. 1 pick. Here’s how it all breaks down.
2018 NBA Draft Lottery odds, order
|Team||Top pick %||Top-3 %|
|9||New York Knicks||1.7||8.7|
* The eighth pick belongs to Cleveland via the Brooklyn Nets.
**The Lakers’ pick will go to Boston Celtics if it is 2-5 overall. It goes to the Philadelphia 76ers if it is No. 1 or 6-14.
***The Pistons’ pick goes to the Los Angeles Clippers if it is outside of the top 4.
How the 2018 NBA Draft lottery works
On 2018 NBA Draft Lottery night, the accounting firm of Ernst & Young will be present, along with representatives from each of the 14 non-playoff teams, or the present owner of their pick.
There are 14 ping-pong balls numbered 1-14 placed in a lottery machine for a total of 1,001 four-number combinations. Each of the 14 teams is assigned a number of those combinations based on their lottery position.
For example, the Suns have a 25-percent chance of getting the top spot, meaning they have 250 combinations out of the 1,001 available. Memphis, with a 19.9 percent chance, has 199 combinations.
The machine mixes the balls for 20 seconds before the first ball is drawn. The machine then mixes the balls 10 seconds before the second and each additional ball is drawn.
The process is repeated for picks 2 and 3. Picks 4 through 14 are determined by reverse order of win-loss record. A few notes:
- This means the lowest pick the Suns, Grizzlies or Mavericks could get would be No. 4.
- Teams outside the top 3 can either get into the top 3 or they’ll stay where they are. For example, if the Nuggets don’t get a top-3 pick, they’ll draft at No. 14. There’s no chance for Denver to have picks 4 through 13.
- That is all done behind closed doors. Then the results are revealed live on ESPN, starting with the No. 14 pick
When is the 2018 NBA Draft?
The 2018 NBA Draft will be Thursday, June 21 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn — more than five weeks after the lottery .
What is the order for the rest of the 2018 NBA Draft?
This is determined by regular-season record, so the order will stay this way after the playoffs are over:
15. Washington Wizards
16. Phoenix Suns (via Heat)
17. Milwaukee Bucks
18. San Antonio Spurs
19. Atlanta Hawks (via Wolves)
20. Minnesota Wolves (via Thunder)
21. Utah Jazz
22. Chicago Bulls (via Pelicans)
23. Indiana Pacers
24. Portland Trail Blazers
25. Los Angeles Lakers (via Cavs)
26. Philadelphia 76ers
27. Boston Celtics
28. Golden State Warriors
29. Brooklyn Nets (via Raptors)
30. Atlanta Hawks (via Rockets)
And for the second round:
37. Knicks (from Bulls)
38. 76ers (from Nets)
39. 76ers (from Knicks)
40. Nets (from Lakers)
41. Magic (from Hornets)
43. Nuggets (from Clippers)
45. Nets (from Bucks)
46. Rockets (from Heat)
47. Lakers (from Nuggets)
54. Mavericks (from Trail Blazers)
55. Hornets (from Cavaliers)
57. Thunders (from 76ers)
58. Nuggets (from Warriors)
59. Suns (from Raptors)
60. 76ers (from Rockets)