In Bovada’s new 2017 Heisman odds, Ohio State QB J.T. Barrett took a surprising tumble.
Barrett was at 6/1 last month — good for second in the country behind Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield. But Barrett is now only 12/1. USC QB Sam Darnold is now the favorite, jumping from 9/1 all the way to 4/1.
Last year, Michigan’s Jabrill Peppers was the Big Ten’s only Heisman finalist. But the league has more contenders besides only Barrett for 2017.
Penn State again has a pair of stars listed up among the leaders. RB Saquon Barkley is at 12/1 and QB Trace McSorley isn’t far behind at 14/1. Both were at 10/1 last month.
Louisville QB Lamar Jackson, who won the 2016 Heisman, is now 13/2, an improvement from 7/1.
2017 Heisman odds
New Heisman Trophy odds, per Bovada. J.T. Barrett slips from 6/1 to 12/1, for some reason pic.twitter.com/slqZtwxSxG
— Ben Axelrod (@BenAxelrod) February 20, 2017
The Big Ten hasn’t had a Heisman winner since Buckeyes QB Troy Smith won it in 2006. That season, Smith led Ohio State to an unbeaten regular season and a spot in the BCS National Championship Game.
Recent past Heisman winners
- 2016: Louisville QB Lamar Jackson
- 2015: Alabama RB Derrick Henry
- 2014: Oregon QB Marcus Mariota
- 2013: Florida State QB Jameis Winston
- 2012: Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel
- 2011: Baylor QB Robert Griffin III
- 2010: Auburn QB Cam Newton
- 2009: Alabama RB Mark Ingram
- 2008: Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford
- 2007: Florida QB Tim Tebow